Sunday, March 10, 2019

#PoetsCorner 'South Bay Lakers And The Road To Zion'

(For those that don’t know me I go by the name Raw Poet. Other than writing records and producing music my other love is...well read on and you will understand. Here is my new regular column for #LakeShowView 'Poets Corner')

LOOK there is one fixture in the NBA that means the same, if not more than a Game 7 playoff final. And that's when we play the dirty Boston Celtics. Now "hate" is such a strong word...well in my case it’s too weak of a word to describe my hatred for that team. And after taking the victory on their home court it was time for them to face us in LA on our home turf and to my disgust they came away with the win (Karma, really don’t like that girl). So as you could imagine I was fuming! Yet again I stayed up to watch us lose another game and to THEM! I mean it’s safe to say I went off more than LeBron did to J.R. Smith when he couldn’t read the shot clock. WHAT TIME IS IT? I thought it was game time.

However we didn’t play terrible, it just wasn’t our night. And what stood out like LeBron's impression of James Harden on defence was the effort and energy of our young players from the G League. As well as our 25th pick in the Draft, Moritz Wagner. Who recorded a career high of 22 points as a Starter. Though he wasn’t alone. Due to injuries, players from our G League team had to be called up to the main roster. And well let’s just say they gave the regulars a run for there money, showing great energy and hustle. There where moments I was like "Ingram who?" and I ain't talking about Andre? (I'm just praying Ingram gets well soon). Speaking of Brandon, I think Johnathan Williams who played 29 minutes and recorded a career high of 19 points made a statement that he could play in the main team at Small Forward. His hustle was just on another level and I see a bright future as long as we can keep him. I mean I just hope he isn’t another Devin Ebanks or Thomas Bryant. This leads me to my next point now that we have given up on this season I think it makes real sense to add to oue young core of players we have and build for the future. I mean it says a lot when our G League players are fighting an up hill battle just to get minutes within the main roster. I'm not coach Walton (I'm Coach Poet) but passion and hunger like they were showing would make them key players in my eyes. All season that’s what we have been missing, especially after the Davis trade drama. So when all these one year deals of our current players run out why not give some South Bay boys there shot and then look to get the next big thing fresh out of college. It’s a marathon not a sprint and we are moving at a snail’s pace despite Magic efforts in the front office.

Zion Williamson, the 18 year old two way Forward for the Duke Blue Devils is predicted to get drafted round one, pick one in the Draft this offseason, so it make sense for us to move some players around and try and get that first pick. His energy and physical presence on the court is a missing Randle piece that any Western Conference team would kill for. I mean the only way to describe this guy is he is like a freight train roaring in to the station when he drives to the basket and nearly tears the rim off! Question is will or can the Lakers make that train stop in LA? DAN STOCKER.

No comments:

Post a Comment